Monday, February 20, 2012

'Connectionalism is one of Methodism's greatest assests'

I was born and raised in Martin, TN, son of a college professor and member of Martin First UMC.

In 1983 I graduated from Westview High School, and in 1988 I received a Bachelor of Science degree in psychology and criminal justice from the University of Tennessee-Martin.

During my last year at UT-Martin, I also served the Lynnville-Poyner's Chapel charge in Graves County, KY.

Upon graduating from college, I attended the Candler School of Theology at Emory University in Atlanta, GA, and served as a student pastor in the North Georgia Conference, receiving a Master of Divinity degree in 1991.

I have served churches in Tennessee, Georgia and Kentucky, being licensed for ministry in 1987, ordained a deacon in 1990 and an elder in 1993.

I have served in the General Church as a jurisdictional delegate and on the General Board of Discipleship as a representative from the order of St. Luke (a religious order in The United Methodist Church).

These experiences, along with my service in parish ministry, convince me that one of Methodism's greatest assets is our connectionalism, and one of my goals as superintendent of the Paducah District is to strengthen our connectional ties.

We are living in difficult times - for Methodism, as well as for Christianity in general. Yet I believe Methodism and the Wesleyan tradition have all of the tools necessary to be effective in being and making discples. We simply have to reclaim it and live into it, being willing to be formed and transformed by God.

That means that church pastors must be more than just congregational managers and CEOs; they must be spiritual guides and leaders.

I pray that I can teach and lead the clergy and laity in the Paducah District into being the disciples and disciple-makers that Jesus Christ calls us to be.

--excerpt of an article by Sky McCracken in the Memphis Conference UM Reporter


God Is Still In Control!


Miss Lladale Carey
Web Content Producer
http://www.umcgiving.org/
lcarey@umcom.org

No comments: