Thursday, April 4, 2013

Cracks




As children of God, we tend to seek perfection. I have changed my mind about seeking to be perfect. I think I would rather have some “cracks” and be somewhat imperfect. Normally we might think of cracks as something to avoid. You probably remember the childhood saying, “Step on a crack and break your mother’s back.” Cracks are not desirable in many objects like sidewalks, dishes, walls, and many other places.

Something that I read recently made me consider the “cracks” in my life. I found the following words by Lenard Cohen when I read a Lenten devotional booklet from the Hennepin Avenue Church. “There is a crack in every thing / that is how the light gets in.” These words say to me that unless we have cracks or openings, we may be shutting things out of our lives. I think also of these words from the Gospel of John 1:5, “The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not overcome it.”

That is why imperfection is what I will choose and why I desire to have some cracks in my life. Another verse from 2 Corinthians also comes to mind, “…for whenever I am weak [and have cracks] then I am strong.” If I am perfect, how does the light of God shine in me? How do I become illumined through Christ?

Do you have cracks in your life?


--Ken Baumandistrict chaplain, MN Ann Conf

God Is Still In Control!

Miss Lladale Carey
Web Content Producer
www.umcgiving.org
lcarey@umcom.org


No comments: