Monday, July 1, 2013

“In and Out”


Giving is a life-long journey.  "What good will it be for someone to gain the whole world, yet forfeit their soul? Or what can anyone give in exchange for their soul?”  (Matthew 16:26)

 It's been 41 years since I left my job as a systems analyst and computer programmer to respond to the inner call to ministry in the Wisconsin Conference of the United Methodist Church.  At 27 years of age I decided to change the direction of my life from seeking gain to seeking the joy of life itself.  I still recall clearly the excitement I felt driving home after my last day at work.  In just a few weeks now I will again drive home after my last day at work and already I feel the excitement growing.

 The past four decades have been better than even I had dreamed.  The first 20 years I served as a pastor in local churches and the last 21 years leading the Wisconsin United Methodist Foundation.  Our Christian faith clearly teaches us that the joy of life can only be fully experienced in its fullness as we let go of all that we have gained through sharing it with others.  Last week, our pastor reminded us again that life is like breathing.  We cannot live if we only breathe in.  To fully live we must breathe out as well.  To follow Christ means to take in and then let go…to receive and then give back.

 I’m excited about the next phase of joyful living that awaits me just around the corner.  What blessings will come my way?  But, more importantly, what can I give away?  Breathe with me, won’t you?  In and out. 

-- by Rev. William F. Helwig, President, Wisconsin United Methodist Foundation

Our thanks to Bill for his faithful ministry with the Foundation for the last 21 years.  This was his final newsletter item as he retired June 30, 2013.

God Is Still In Control!

Miss Lladale Carey
Web Content Producer
www.umcgiving.org
lcarey@umcom.org

No comments: