Thursday, January 22, 2009

Pay it Forward

When I was a child, my mother told me, “I hope you have a kid just like you when you grow up!” I always viewed that as a compliment since I was an angelic kid.

Ok, even I can’t type that without snickering.

While I wasn’t quite angelic per se, I was essentially a good kid. I stayed on the Honor Roll, was active in church and took dance lessons. Sure, I did the normal rebellion antics, which is what spurred my mother’s comment I’m sure.

Nevertheless, if there was one thing I was – it was giving. Each Sunday, I made sure I had at least a quarter to put into the offering plate. That may not sound like much, but when your allowance for the week was a dollar, 25-cents of that was a big deal. It was something that my father instilled in me. Always give back and be generous.

I’ve taken that instilled principle with me into adulthood. I’m still a very giving person – I’ll willing give away my only dollar if you need it because hey, there may come a time when I’m going to need your only dollar. Some may call that “Paying it Forward” but I like to think of it as giving to a friend when they need it. If I can provide or help out, I’m all for it.

When it came to Human Relations Day, one of the six churchwide Special Sundays, I took out the leaflet envelope from my church bulletin, dug into my purse and deposited some money – and gave each of my daughters a quarter to put in the offering plate. They may only be 5 and 1 years old, but I want to instill the essence of giving in them early.

Would you give someone your only dollar if they needed it?

Did your church celebrate Human Relations Day, which strengthens outreach to communities in the U.S. and Puerto Rico and encourages social justice and work with at-risk youth? Did you know that you can give online to Human Relations Day – or any of the Special Sundays – and still credit your local church with your gift? It’s true. You can donate at our e-give site at any time.

No matter the amount, your gifts to our Church truly make a difference in the lives of so many. It is my prayer that more people would pay it forward.

--Tracy Wood, Web Coordinator, Strategic Marketing & Research Team, United Methodist Communications. Full time web geek, part time comedian. :-)

No comments: