Monday, February 22, 2010

Poor, and Yet Making Many Rich

We are treated as impostors, and yet are true;As unknown, and yet are well known;As dying, and see -- we are alive;As punished, and yet not killed;As sorrowful, yet always rejoicing;As poor, yet making many rich;As having nothing, and yet possessing everything. -- II Corinthians 6:8-10

Wearing our mortality with ashes upon our foreheads, we begin our Lenten journey.

This is the season of great mystery in Christ Jesus: we find our lives as we lose ourselves in higher purposes;
we become rich as we share lavishly;
we rise to life as we die to ourselves.

At the recent Clergy Leadership Conference in Hattiesburg,
a witness was given:
"My blood pressure was high and nothing brought it down.
I tried what doctors said and nothing worked.
I worried much about myself.
Then somehow I stopped worrying about myself.
I began to focus on the needs of others.
My blood pressure came down."

This very personal testimony is a lens for the mysterious ways of God.
God moves in ways that feel counter-intuitive.
We rise higher by living more deeply.
We find inner peace as we reach out more expansively.
We live as we die to ourselves.

It is possible to have nothing and yet to possess everything.

Lent is an invitation to live and learn into the mystery of Christ.
I hope you will give time and attention to these opportunities on the horizon.

May they be occasions for the working of the Holy Spirit in your life and ministry.

---Bishop Hope Morgan Ward
God Is Still In Control!

Miss Lladale Carey
Web Producer
UMCGiving.org
United Methodist Communications

No comments: