Monday, May 27, 2013

Follow the Leader



Recently I was remembering how much I enjoyed playing follow the leader as a child. I remember waiting for my turn to be the leader – it meant I could go wherever I wanted to go and everyone else had to follow.

How times have changed!

As a follower of Jesus Christ I look at leadership in a whole new way. When Jesus washed the feet of the Disciples in that tiny room in Jerusalem, he provided us with one of the most notable “show and tell” moments in history. Jesus exemplified Servanthood and revolutionized Leadership.

The job of every Christian is to reflect Jesus Christ to the world. He told us he “came not to be served but to serve others.”  The focus is on others -- Servant Leadership. We lead best by serving.

As I've taken leadership roles in the church and other areas of my life, I've learned that the opportunity to lead is a gift and should be exercised with much care, noble purpose and humility. As a Servant Leader it is so important to seek to live a life of integrity and compassion, always treating others with respect, dignity and kindness.

I've also learned that the key to successful servant leadership always involves two dynamics - the task and the relationship. Attention to the task is important to success, but success could never be accomplished without relationships.

Healthy relationships are built on trust, respect, kindness, active listening, accountability, positive attitude, appreciation  and  encouragement. We are reminded in Hebrews 3:13 “encourage one another every day.”

I am a firm believer that all of us together are much wiser than any of us alone.

I no longer think about my turn at Follow the Leader. I am following Christ to where I want to go. I am  asking  God  daily  to make me a better servant and I am looking forward to every opportunity to Follow The Leader.

-- Dianne Traynham,North GA Ann Conf.

God Is Still In Control!

Miss Lladale Carey
Web Content Producer
www.umcgiving.org
lcarey@umcom.org

No comments: